Wednesday, October 17, 2018

December 11, 2012 by admin
Filed under Surveillance Camera

I live in an apartment building where each apartment is individually owned. Video surveillance cameras were recently installed to monitor the halls and public spaces. The feed is available on the internet (with login) to all apartment owners. Is this legal?

I would think it is because it’s not violating private space and I’m sure that the apartment owners would just like to let you see like what’s going on. I would love to have something like that in my condos haha

Comments

9 Responses to “Is it legal for feed from video surveillance cameras in my apartment to be viewable by all apartment owners?”
  1. tristan says:

If its a shared space I believe it is legal. They can’t install them IN your unit, but they can install them in the shared spaces. We have surveillance in my building, its not available online, but any owner can request to see the video at any time from our strata council.
    References :

2. WRG says:

Yes it is legal and really a great idea.
    References :

3. Michael Jones says:

Public spaces, yes. You have no expectation of privacy in a public space.
    References :

4. Dr. Snark says:

Why wouldn’t it be legal? The owner of the public spaces gets to decide how they want to distribute that feed. You have no expectation of privacy after you go out your door.
    References :

5. Giovanny Castro says:

References :

6. footflash1 says:

Absolutely. This is a common area and essentially a public place (for the purpose of this conversation). Therefore there is no expectation of privacy. Now, if you have issues with camera placement (perhaps there is a way to tell if you are home or not due to the placement of a certain camera) then you might have a grievance, but no laws are being broken.
    References :

7. Kathi S says:

If it’s a shared space it is, you don’t own the hallway.
    References :

8. Who aren't you? says:

It depends on the state and also depends on if the cameras record audio as well. If they do not record audio its most likely completely legal, if they do not, there is a fair chance it is not.

If the cameras are in the lease agreement, it is completely legal.

I don’t see anything inherently wrong with it, especially as everyone is informed of the cameras and has access to them.
    References :

9. Wuyu Qi says:

yes, it is public places for public security.
    References :