Wednesday, July 18, 2018

How do I disconnect my home security alarm?

April 7, 2011 by admin
Filed under Home Security

I have a home security system that was installed by the previous homeowners. A while back, it started going off at random intervals throughout the day, for no apparent reason. We tried disconnecting it, with no luck, and ended up having to turn off the circuit breaker it’s attached to. This would be fine, if that particular circuit breaker didn’t also control the electricity to the bathroom and my bedroom (no lights, no outlets, etc). Does anybody know how I can turn this GD alarm off once and for all?? Thanks in advance!

These operate on low voltage.

Somewhere, there is a transformer plugged into a regular receptacle. They are typically tan in color. It may even have a small screw that holds it in place (will be installed in place of the screw that normally holds the cover plate on). Unplug this transformer and you are halfway there (no wire cutting needed).

There are some models that are self contained units. The keypad, siren, and control are one item. These do not have a separate controller. If you have one of these, email me.

Comments

7 Responses to “How do I disconnect my home security alarm?”
  1. Joe says:

You could cut the wire before it goes into the fuse box if you can identify it. If you don’t know which wire it is use an electrical meter. As you flick the breaker on and off you will see it register on the meter.

Good luck
    References :

2. Swineton says:

I think you will need to get in someone who installs the alarms to check it out. Failing that an electrician is the best option.

Don’t think they is an easy way to disconnect an alarm. Would sort of defeat the whole purpose wouldn’t it.

Edit : I really think it’s a bad idea to go around cutting electrical wires.
    References :

3. Cindy says:

I’d turn the breaker off and take the pad off of the wall and clip the wires securing that electrical wire with wire nuts and getting a blank plate to put over the hole.
    References :

4. saint jimmy says:

just rip it out of the wall, if that fails, well, your on ur own
    References :

5. Lic. Electrician says:

These operate on low voltage.

Next, you will need to open the control unit and disconnect the backup battery that is usually there. This is usually a metal box, approx 12"wide x 14" high x 3" deep, and it is usually in a garage or a closet. Most are either tan, gray, or white in color.

References :
    NEC
    IBEW 191
    I’ve installed these.

6. EagleWatcher says:

Well, I was going to answer your question, but "Lic. Electrician" already has provided you with the 10 point answer.
    References :
    Electrician since 1977

7. chim chim says:

Don’t listen all the people talking about cutting wires and ripping out stuff. There is a transformer plugged into an outlet either in the attic or in a room somewhere (white or brown in color). Unplug that transformer, then go to the alarm panel in the closet with all the wires inside. Open it and disconnect one lead of the backup battery. This will kill all power to the system.
    References :